1005 Merkley Road
Lot 16, Concession 11
Samuel Downey registered from the Crown on March 19, 1881 and built the house and bank barn around 1905.
(After this time there have been various owners: John May, Charles Peterson, Freeman Plewis, James Shepherd, (John Rebman Feb.28, 1905), James Long, Wm. Semple and Harold Taverner.)
Sandford Edwards owned the mill where the barn now stands. The spring by the barn was used by neighbours and the school children across the road. When the house burned the Rebman family was housed in the town hall which stood beside the old school house on the corner. The house was rebuilt as it stands today. The original wood shed is attached to the house as it was saved from the fire, as was the barn.
John Rebman raised his seven children here. Of the children Pearl and Lawrence Rebman stayed in the area but the rest of the children moved out West.
This is a private residence with no access to the property.