Religion and Churches
In 1881, two ladies Mrs. Andrew (Hoffman) Boyd and Mrs. (Warren) Coleman held the first Free Methodist meetings in Housey’s Rapids at ‘Brookes’ School. After this time and for some years later, meetings were held over the General Store at Housey’s Rapids owned by P.H. Brace.
Excerpt from ‘A Brief History, 1882 to Present’ Ryde Centennial Free Methodist Church August 17, 2014
Barkway column: The Rev. Paull of Uffington was presented by his members of the Ryde appointment and friends there and elsewhere, with a fine black fur coat and a good pair overshoes, and at the same time they presented Mrs. Paull with a beautiful heavy shawl and skirt and woollen jacket. These kind friends also gave sugar and tea in abundance and candies to Mr. Paull’s fine promising little son. This is not the first time during the year that Mr. Paull has been presented with an offering from his people. A few months ago a good sized box was put into his cutter and upon opening it he found ‘good things’ enough to last him many days. This box came from his members and friends at the Housey’s Rapids appointment. These gifts must be pleasing to Mr. Paull, as they are a token of appreciation of his labours..
Orillia Packet February 26, 1892
Housey Rapids column: Mr. Daniel Boone delivered a very interesting address last Sunday in the Free Methodist church; the subject being the behaviour of young people in the church.
Orillia Packet May 24, 1917
Fiftieth anniversary of Housey’s Rapids Free Methodist Church:
….the first Free Methodist meetings to be held in this township were held near Barkway about sixty years ago. There the three churches on the circuit, now one at Barkway, built 52 years ago, one at Housey’s Rapids built 50 years ago, and one at Cooper’s Falls. built 48 years ago…
Gravenhurst Banner October 8, 1941, p.4